The lakes and ponds of Sewanee
add to the diversity of the Domain by providing a habitat for water-loving plants.
All are man-made, starting in 1953 with
the Farm Pond which was built when the
Soil Conservation Service demonstrated
the feasibility of impoundment by
earthen dams on the plateau. Under the
leadership of Vice-Chancellor Edward
McCrady and University Forester and En
gineer Charles Cheston, lakes continued
to be added until 1968 for various uses, including wildlife habitat and firefighting. Currently there are 12 lakes scattered throughout the Domain, not including Lakes O'Donnell, Jackson, and Dimmick (formerly Day Lake), which are managed for water supply.
Click here to view the Plants of Pond and Shore brochure